Thermoforming Misnomers

Posted by | Filed under Community, Design | Sep 11, 2013 | Tags: , , , , | Comments Off on Thermoforming Misnomers

“Do you guys make bubble pack?” Ouch that hurts!

At Shepherd Thermoforming and Packaging it is a common problem so let’s be clear.  We make plastic clamshells, blisters and trays.  We also make larger plastic parts that are specific to a customer’s application which could be called anything so let’s not go there.

Common misnomers for the thin gauge parts that we make include skin pack, vacuum pack, bubble wrap and bubble pack.  These names all relate to other forms of packaging like flexible skin packaging where the film is stretched tight over the product on a card, vacuum packaging commonly seen in meat packaging, air cap which is a protective wrapping or shrink wrap which is where a product is completely enclosed by flexible shrink film.  We don’t make these things!


Thermoforming is a process of heating and forming rigid plastic sheet over a mold to form a package, tray or blister.  The process is sometimes called vacuum forming because vacuum is always used to force the heated plastic into the mold however the proper term is thermoforming because air pressure and assist tools are also used.  We do make these things!

Need help figuring out what you need?  Contact Simon Mangos at 905-459-4545 x233 or email him at

Comments are closed.

101 2014 Seminar 2015 thermoformer of the year article Automotive Boot conference Contour Print employees Food Certification Food Packaging Forming GPEC holiday Holiday shut down Humber IDDBA learn Packaging Plastics Today Pre-Print Presenting printed plastic Recycling representative reshore reshoring re shoring RPET Sales savings seminar Shepherd shepherd thermoforming shut down Solutions SPE SQF Students Summer Hours Thermoform Thermoformer Thermoforming Tour Tray